Frequently Asked Questions

You will find answers to some of the most common Electrical Services related questions here.

Licensed Electricians and Journeymen/woman are different terms but mean the same thing. It is someone who has completed the apprenticeship program and passed the “C of Q” exam. Licensed electricians are not qualified to work for anyone except electrical contractors.

Master Electricians are needed in every electrical contracting company. An electrical contractor must either be a Master Electrician or employ one in order to operate as an electrical contractor. To become a Master Electrician, you must be a licensed electrician for 3 years before attempting the Master Electrician exam.

A Licensed Electrical Contractor/Company is the ONLY person or group of people – besides farmers + home owners working on their own property – that are allowed to conduct electrical work in Ontario.

Only Licensed Electrical Contractors can perform electrical work for you. Every licensed electrical contracting company is identifiable using their ESA/ECRA license #. Most are displayed like ours: ECRA/ESA 7011800. Go to ESA’s website ( to look it up or call them to confirm.

Technically this number should be displayed on all work vehicles, websites and forms such as invoices and work orders.
If you can’t see this number anywhere ask for it. Additionally you can search by first and last name of the contractor, or the company name at

Older Houses are often missing the essential safety devices and wiring of todays time.

– Plugs above the counter in your kitchen or washroom near your sink and outdoor plugs need to be GFCI type or they need to be protected by GFCI fuses or breakers. This can save lives by preventing electrocution when using appliances near water.
Arc Fault Breakers are now required for almost every receptacle in houses and apartments. When old, damaged electrical cords of lamps, TVs and other appliances arc or (spark), these breakers will detect that and disconnect the power almost immediately.
– Many apartments and houses do not have the correct number and type of Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Detectors installed. This needs to be done in compliance with the National Building Code to meet minimum safety requirements.
Tamper Resistant Receptacles are now required everywhere except at counter height. This mostly protects small children from sticking anything inside of an electrical outlet.

The number one risk is fire. Most insurance companies will not insure a house with Knob & Tube wiring and many will require electrical inspections of aluminum wired properties.

It’s a good idea to have a qualified and experienced contractor inspect both of these wiring methods if you’re planning on continuing to use them.